Sunday, March 12, 2006

Absence from Work Due to Accident

Original (genuine email) from employee to manager...

I am sorry to have to tell you that I was struck by a car whilst riding my bike on Tuesday evening and suffered minor head injuries for which I received treatment at Peterborough District Hospital.

This has left me slightly concussed and with a painful neck as a result of which I have been unfit for work yesterday and today and probably tomorrow. I would hope that I will be fit for work again by Monday and will advise you accordingly if this is not the case.

Regards

employee...

Response from Manager...

Bad luck!

Look after your self you silly old sod! You're too old to be riding two wheelers get a tricycle for goodness sake.

Please keep me informed as to your recovery.

Kind regards

Manager...

Response from Employee...

Thanks for your E Mail.

In fact, I have been very lucky as a fraction of a second earlier and the car would have driven over me. The accident happened at a cross roads and the driver of the car (a young girl who had just recently passed her test) was to blame, driving straight into me from the side in a rush to cross the main road from the side road. She had simply not seen me!

I have been diagnosed as having concussion and whiplash. Whilst I have now shaken off the pounding headache and the neck is easing, I am still unbalanced and unsteady in normal walking and finding it difficult to concentrate and tire easily, so that I am not able to drive a car. As a
result, I have had to cancel the two meetings which I had arranged for this week.

I have arranged to see my doctor again tomorrow and expect to be issued with a medical certificate, as my period of self certification has nearly expired. I have asked how long it will take to clear, but have been told that it depends on the person and the severity of the injury, which is not of much help. I intend to "suck it and see" what work I can or cannot do as I get better, which will be dictated by how much I find I can concentrate without ill effect and how quickly I get tired.

I intend to get fully back to work (and back to my bike) as quickly as I can.

Regards

PS. Do you know where I can hire a man with a red flag who can run very fast?

No comments:

Post a Comment